Karpathos

Karpathos is the second largest of the Greek Dodecanese islands, in the southeastern Aegean Sea. 

Together with the neighboring smaller Saria Island it forms the municipality Karpathos, which is part of the Karpathos regional unit.
From its remote position Karpathos has preserved many peculiarities of dress, customs and dialect, the last resembling those of Crete and Cyprus.

The island is located about 47 kilometers southwest of Rhodes, in the part of the Mediterranean which is called, after it, the Carpathian Sea. 

The Sea of Crete, a sub-basin of the Mediterranean Sea, has its eastern limit defined by the island of Karpathos.
Karpathos' highest point is Mt. Lastos, at 1,215 metres (3,986 ft). Karpathos comprises 10 villages.
All villages preserve intensively the traditional style of the island. In the southeast of the island you can find Pigadia (official name Karpathos), capital and main port of the island.
The capital is surrounded by the villages of Menetes, Arkasa, Aperi, Volada, Othos, and Pyles.
In the North one can find Mesochori, Spoa and Olymbos the last village in the North of the island, of great folkloric and architectural interest.
There are two ports in the island; one is in the town of Karpathos and the other in the north of the island next to Olympos named Diafani.

The island was both in ancient and medieval times closely connected with Rhodes. Its current name is mentioned, with a slight shift of one letter, in Homer's Iliad as Krapathos.
Besides, the island is mentioned by Virgil, Pliny the Elder and Strabo. Karpathians fought with Sparta in the Peloponnesian War in 431 BC and lost their independence to Rhodes in 400 BC.
In 42 BC the island fell to Rome. After the division of the roman Empire the island joined the Byzantine Empire.
By 1304 Karpathos was given as fief by the Emperor to the Genoese corsairs Andrea and Lodovico Moresco, but in 1306 it fell under Andrea Cornaro, a member of the noble Venetian Cornaro family.
The Cornaro controlled Karpathos until 1538, when it finally passed into the possession of the Ottoman Turks. Under the Ottomans the island decayed deeply.
In the years 1821-22, during the Greek War of Independence, the island could free itself, but afterward it fell again under the Ottoman rule.
In 1835 Sultan Mahmud II conceded to the island the privilege of the Maktu tax system, that is its tax burden was calculated as an annual lump sum, and not on an household basis.
The Ottoman rule ended on May 12, 1912, when the Italians conquered the island, together with the whole Dodecanese, during the Italo-Turkish War of 1911-12.
On that day sailors of the Regia Marina ship Vittorio Emanuele and the destroyer Alpino landed in Karpathos.
With the Treaty of Lausanne of 1923 Karpathos joined the other islands of the Dodecanese in the Italian possession of the Isole Italiane dell'Egeo, and was ceded by Italy to Greece with the Paris Peace Treaties of 1947.
The island formally joined the Greek State on 7 March 1948, together with the other Dodecanese islands.
Despite such a scattered past, the last half century has been pivotal in the development of the island's character. A war-ravaged economy sent many a Karpathian to the U.S. eastern seaboard cities;
Karpathos today has a significant Greek-American constituency who have returned to their beloved island and invested heavily. As a result, Pigadia and other towns successfully infuse modern elements into a traditional setting. In the mountains to the north, a world unto itself, residents preserve tradition almost religiously.

The beaches of Karpathos island can be divided into four large groups: the beaches on the east coast are smaller and gravelly but without wind; the beaches of the southern part of the island, near the airport, area made of fine white sand; the sandy beach on the west coast are the most exposed to the Meltemi and they are only available in low wind conditions; the beaches of the north of the island, accessible only by sea and partly by a jeep.
East Coast - Amoopi, Karpathos Beach, Achata, Kato Latos (reachable only by foot), Apella.
South Coast - Damatria, Diakoftis, Devils Bay, Agriopotamos (nude beach).
West Coast - Finiki, Arkasa Leucadius.
North Coast - Diafani, Vananda, Forokli

Joomla Templates - by Joomlage.com